[Amps] rfi

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 2 12:16:21 EDT 2007

RADAR is a completely different kettle of fish from stray RF.  With
sufficient power and directivity (e.g. military aircraft) it can literally
cook a person like being in a microwave oven.  I have first hand experience
from being about 100 feet in front of an aircraft when the RADAR was
(accidentally?) turned on.  This happened during a cold winter night on the
flight line while wearing a very heavy goose down coat.  The parabolic
antenna was fed with 12KW via waveguide and the occasion was electrical
alignment of the antenna drive system while observing power received on a
test set.  The RADAR would be turned on while standing about 10 feet to the
side, then turned off to check the test set and adjust the drive system.
The process usually took about 30 minutes.  But this time the guy in the
cockpit turned it on while I was setting up the test set.  Within a few
seconds I was warm as toast and, realizing what had happened, yelled back to
the cockpit to turn it off.  He did.  Good thing too, because I was about to
run to the cockpit and haul him out.

73, Keith NM5G