[Amps] SB220 filament

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed May 2 14:33:50 EDT 2007

> hello!.. i bought a new digital multimeter to be shure...
> it is 4.1 volts on the filament.. i will be resoldering
> everything this evning.
>
> //SM7TVJ

It is VERY unusual to have a bad connection cause 4.1 volts
without serious smoke. The reason is simple.

The tubes draw 30 amps at 5 volts. That's 5/30= .17 ohms
when fully hot

The nominal voltage at the transformer is 5.4 volts. The ESR
of the system is .4/30=.013 ohms plus .17 = .183 ohms

This means a solder joint to reduce voltage .9 volts would
have to have about .038 ohms. At that point current would be
about 24 amps, voltage at pins about 4.1 volts

The solder joint would dissipate .9*24 = 21.6 watts

How do we make a small solder joint that dissipates 21 watts
without smoking? Pure luck allowing several joints to share
the voltage drop and heat?

Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely in most cases.

Maybe someone changed something in the amplifier?