[Amps] Bird wattmeter

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon May 7 17:41:36 EDT 2007

Hi Tom,

In this case with the bird 43 meter all of the meter movements are 30
microamp movements and I would guess that all of the slugs are designed to
put out 30 microamps at full scale into the standard resistance of the meter
movement which is said to be 1400 ohms. I measured 1399 on one and 1406 ohms
on another meter.

All slugs have to be designed to operate on the same amount of current
regardless of their power rating as all of the different power scales are on
the same relative points on the meter scale. That would mean that the same
amount of current must flow in the diode of all slugs or the scales would be
different.

So it would seem that by applying 30 microamps of current to the meter
movements should result in full scale reading on all bird 43 meters in order
for all 43 type slugs to be compatible.

I am finding a 10% low reading on one meter and a 5% low reading on another
meter that I have when 30 microamps is applied to the movement.

My original question was if bird actually marked full scale at exactly the
30 microamp point or at some point close by and should I expect to see full
scale reading with 30 microamps applied or something else.

I do agree that power is very difficult to measure accurately. Even trying
to measure the attenuation of an attenuator accurately is difficult at rf.
Source and load impedances have to be very close.
I have an hp microwatt meter, a good Boonton rf millivoltmeter, hp 8405
vector voltmeter, an hp 3586C with .01 db readout. But when you add up all
the uncertainties in each piece of equipment the error gets pretty large.

I have a good bird 30 db 200 watt attenuator that I have been trying to see
how close to 30 db it actually is in hopes of using it for power
measurements but I am having little luck in getting any two instruments to
read close enough to be of much use. A couple tenths of a db error makes for
several percent error.

Back to the bird meter.. :>)

73
Gary  K4FMX