[Amps] Advice please Ameritron amp

Gerold Sklott gsklott at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 15:01:06 EDT 2007

I just assembled a new AL82. I've had many amps in the
past, SB220, Alpha 76PA, Titan etc. I had no problems

Here's my problem and I hope it has a simple answer or
I've just forgotten something.

I can key and load the AL82(driver is 1000MP about 100
watts).  I cannot get the load anywhere near the
recommended value. Power out peaks at very low load
values( the opposite of what I need). For example the
it should be in the 3 area for 40 and I get 0 or less
than zero. Grid current is not excessive. The load
also becomes unreactive sooner than expected, that is
I can't push it to the higher current levels they
suggest. I can get to 550 mils or so. So I can't do
higher power if I wanted. I think my drive is
sufficient.

I tried a KT34a, dipole and GP and different bands. On
20, 40  17 etc. the load only gives max power out for
low load values at 2-4 below what would be expected. I
know numbers from Ameriton are estimates. But , I'm
not close. The load is too low.

The Titan that just came off line had no problem
anywhere, any band, any antenna, always in range and
power out fine..

Hoping someone has a solution or can tell me I did
something dumb and forgot?

Tks de,

Gerry K1NY

gsklott at yahoo.com