[Amps] 50 Ohm Loads

Nils Petter Pedersen la7sl at online.no
Tue Nov 13 13:55:06 EST 2007

Hi !
The MP9xxx series resistors from Caddock are excellent, and they have
very low series L .  A 50ohm/100Watt unit is typically 20nH  (nanoHenry).
The problem with the TO-packaged units is that they MUST have a good
heatsink. Without heatsink the burn off for nothing. Cooling surface is too
small to be effective in oil.
They also have the MS series resistors (standard tubular shape) in
low-inductance types. Here 15W (in air) is the highest rating for a value
of 50 Ohms (but you can combine series/parallell)
I am a little careful recommending the MP9xxx series or similar as dummy
load ! Remember that inductance is not the only thing to avoid. Capacitance
is just as important !!  The TO resistors must be flat-packed
against a (metallic) heatsink, sandwiching the ceramic wafer between the
resistance element and that heatsink. That could make an excellent capa-
citor . But I have no idea of the actual values involved. A test is the only
way.
 My datasheets says nothing about it...
Peter LA7SL