[Amps] Considering an Alpha 76PA

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Oct 31 13:28:37 EST 2007

>I own(ed) an Alpha 77SX serial 2931 & it went to ETO for
> repair after an internal arc-over. They lost track of it when they
> relocated & I'm still out an amp or compensation. Someone,
> somewhere has my 77SX that ETO/Alpha should have
> returned to me but never was.
>
> I need another amp and am considering an Alpha 76PA as I remember
> using one at field day and it seemed like a fairly straight forward
> amplifier. I'll be using it with a corsair II.
>
> I have no idea what ta 76pa is selling for but I know the tubes are
> hugely overpriced to replace. Anyone know of one of these amps in
> decent condition?

The 76A is a nice amp. The only real considerations are watching the grid
current on tune up and of  course the price of the tubes. There are two
versions with the difference being 2 or 3 tubes. There's a pair of 8874s on
e-bay at present with the current bidding over $700 for the pai.   I've seen
very nice ones go for $750 USD and some scruffy ones that needed the panel
replaced (bad paint) for over $1500.  Typically the prices do vary over the
range listed with nice ones covering the whole range, but I'd say the nice
two tube tend toward $1000 to $1200 with the three tube units going for a
bit more.

I've been using the two tube version for some years now and it's a great
conventional amp that has very little cooling noise. Others may have a
different opinion.

BTW, it's warm enough my BIG cat likes to sleep on it so I have to look to
see where he is before firing up.

73

Roger (K8RI)