[Amps] Analyzing crossmodulation in PA and antenna system- W8JI suggestions

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:27:56 EDT 2007

This has been an interesting thread, and traditionally a difficult problem
to isolate but once isolated has straightforward solutions.  Several posters
have given their experiences and possibilities for correcting the problem.
I am particularly impressed by Tom, W8JI's postings on this problem.  Tom
outlines a methodical engineering procedure for analyzing the environment in
which the problem exists and homing in on the problem.  Once isolated the
fix will be apparent.
>From time to time on other reflectors I will see someone come on and say
something like, "When I turned on my old TR4 today the fuse blew in the
power supply. What is the problem."  And he will get a bunch of replies,
such as "Better change the caps in the PS, replace all the diodes, replace
the equalizing resistors because they change value, time to replace the
finals because I had one short out on me once."  Almost never does someone
suggest a logical method of homing in on the real culprit that caused the
fuse to blow, to get out the ohmmeter and trace the circuit.  But Tom always
does, and I REALLY appreciate the advice he gives.  Tom you should write a
book.  You may not always be 100% right, but 99% is good enough for me.

Rick  K2XT