[Amps] switching power supply for tube amplifier

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Sep 14 20:10:39 EDT 2007

> Hamilton Horta - PY2NI wrote:
>>     It has been done.... see http://w5jgv.com/amateur_radio.htm
> Down the bottom of the page there's some interesting archive
> stuff. Can anything as neat and tidy as the 813 amps really work? :-)

Sho Nuff...I built a modified version way back then. It used a band
switching B&W PI network. Worked like a champ. OTOH I didn't have the big
meter rackin mine

It looked a lot neater than my original 6C21 on 80 through 20. Not nearly as
impressive visually though <:-)) I picked up a bunch of those 6C21s for $5
each as no one wanted them. Now they cost a small fortune.  I saw an amp
using a pair of them on 6-meters. IIRC there was an article in QST on it as
well. Being RADAR pulse modulator tubes they had enough cathode emission to
blow the plate right out of one.  They were about 16" tall and a bear to
neutralize. Looked similar to a 250TH on steroids.

73

Roger (K8RI)