[Amps] 813's was switching power supply for tube amplifier

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Fri Sep 14 20:45:55 EDT 2007

Hi Hamilton

Definately, they did work.  The picture of the one in the book, I believe,
is the one that GE had an article on.  They were single band amps.  You
could put 3 or 4 in a rack, have the filament voltage on on all the amps,
and just switch the HV to the one you wanted to use.  They were called the
'Ne plus ultra" of amps back then.

I had 3 or 4 bandswitching 813 amps that I built, but the biggest problem
with them is that they were kinda dirty as far as TVI went.

I could run them at a KW on RTTY all day long.  Pretty tough old jug.
Thanks for the memories.  73
Tom W7WHY