[Amps] Plate Choke Selection

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:52:39 EDT 2007

Folks:

I am reconstructing an old 813 Amplifier, that is missing a plate chioke,
the original of which was the well recognized National Radio, Ceramic choke
form  with segmented sections of different diameters through it s height
mostly at the bottom.   I have a replacement candidate, which is
commercially made, phenolic rod, .9" diameter with a single layer, wide
spaced enamel winding, 18 turns per inch, 72 total even spaced turns.  (4"
coil length.)  Probably 24 guage wire.  I connected its two ends together,
and swept it through the HF bands with a GDO, and found no resonances.   I
am a little concerned the turn count is relatively low compared to other
chokes I have seen.  I want to try it in the old amp.  Any other
considerations or issues to look at before putting it into the amp and
trying it?

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow     aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team