[Amps] Gonset 903a cure for self-oscillation?

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Fri Apr 11 10:48:42 EDT 2008

I'd try the new socket, and hope you bought the correct one (with
internal screen bypass).

Yes, a bad screen bypass can cause oscillation -- the 4X150/4CX250 has a
tremendous amount of gain, right on up to 500 MHz.

I'd also add a 6 dB input attenuator, for sure.  The 903A has way too
much gain for an FT-857D driver, even if you "turn down" the 857D.
Every 903A or 913A amp I've ever used needed a 6-10 dB input attenuator
to function properly and in a stable fashion.  Even with a 10 dB input
attenuator (overkill), it can still be driven to "full output" power
with only 25-30W RF drive.

I've always installed the attenuator right at the input socket, since
the 903A needs outboard T-R bypass relay switching anyway.  This puts
the "pad" closest to the tuned input circuit and tames the amp down
well.

WB2WIK/6