[Amps] Fabrication & part placement

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 07:57:00 EDT 2008

Just a thought. Some years ago I modified an MLA2500
to use a single 3CX800A7, and decided there was not
enough space to mount the tube vertically as well as
allowing an air supply below. (Re-phrase that - if
there is enough space, it is very tight, would require
a sharp bend in the air input, and would need the
original chassis to be hacked around horribly!) In the
end I mounted the tube horizontally with the socket
and the input circuitry in a small diecast box
(~4"x5"x1"??) attached to the inside of the back of
the cabinet. I then used a fan similar to the original
but with much higher output, in its original position.
I was very pleased with the results, the tube is quite
adequately cooled and the plate lead is very short to
the output components.

Hope that helps.

73 Roger
VE3ZI