[Amps] Buck Boost

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Mon Apr 28 13:47:17 EDT 2008

I think the usual idea is to increase the primary voltage by 10% - e.g.
by putting a small 12V (output) transformer in series with the 120VAC
line or putting a small 24 V (output) transformer in series with the
240 Vprimary. The small transformer only (!) needs a current rating
equal to the primary current on the big guy. For example, a 240 to 2400
V plate transformer with 1A secondary would have about 10A primary
current (actually need to add a bit to account for transformer
efficiency) so we would need a 24 VAC transformer with a 10A
capability.

Using the primary means we don't muck up the center tap on the
secondary - if that is a concern. Also (possibly) lower voltages on the
'boost' transformer. Dynamic performance could be affected.  I've only
done this for low power units so can't speak to the impact on high
power units.

73
Bob, WA2CKY