[Amps] illegal amps?

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Fri Aug 29 13:41:44 EDT 2008

Hi Ray,

A good point, well made...

Another thing I discovered --- after I first fired-up the Palomar on 10-meters & called CQ --- was that the doggone thing sounded just AWFUL at the other end. All I did initially was re-peak / tweak everything to play up above 28-MHz, but the distortion was terrible.

I ended-up biasing the control grids of the two 6LQ6 sweep tubes by way of a 9-volt battery, and the improvement in signal quality was remarkable. The only caveat (beyond that, of course) is that these old mobile tube-type amplifiers used (then) state-of-the-art germanium power transistors in the multi-vibrator circuits of their power supplies, which can cost an arm & a leg in to-day's NOS replacement market. An ample junque box is gold in this way...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ