[Amps] More on using a PIC processor inside HF amp

David G4FTC g4ftc at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:18:38 EST 2008

There's another factor to be considered.

Sometime ago I was considering using a PIC as an amplifier controller, and certainly there are certain advantages to that approach for sequencing, step-start timers. metering etc.

However, my concern was using the device for protection - knowing my luck just as when it was needed to do a shut down, say after a flash-over, the thing would lock up, and you'd be waiting for the watchdog timer to reset it while the amp is sitting there merrily arcing away!

Also remember there's a certain latency from the time the PIC detects the shutdown signal to the time the outputs can change.

In the end I used a thyristor as the main control element - it's fast and once it's triggered it's going to stay triggered!

Regards

David G4FTC