[Amps] Looking for eimac 3-500Z

DEHAYS Dominique dominique.dehays at enac.fr
Thu Feb 14 02:25:01 EST 2008

Hello ,

I recently got a second hand  Drake L4 amplifier. I am normaly not an HF
op , but sometimes , I have to use HF (  for VHF nets) , so the L4 is a
nice addition when HF conditions are not good. I am rather used to VHF
amps , where the blower is quite powerfull , and the tubes are well
cooled. On the L4 , there is only a quite weak air stream , provided by a
small , low speed squirel cage blower. One can easily feel the warm smell
in the shack after a 1 minute transmission whne going back in RX  , and I
dont like this.... Anybody has ever improved the L4 cooling? I'm thinking
I could add two blowers , each one above one tube to " suck" air trougth
the tubes chimneys. What do you think about this?

73
Dom/F6DRO