[Amps] My HV supply design.

jeff millar wa1hco at wa1hco.net
Tue Jan 1 12:56:50 EST 2008

Patrick...

A few comments
    - You need a connection from the 10/25W safety resistor to chassis ground.

    - I like to put the HV sense on the PA rather than in the Power supply and feed a sample of the
HV back to the protection circuit...because it protects the PA if I forget to connect the HV lead.

    - Suggest two resistors in parallel for R19.  This prevents a fail/open of one resistor from
letting HV get on the HV measure line.

   - If you want to use isolated HV current sense with the 4N33, put MOV's on the Ifault lines to
prevent HV getting into the logic if there's a fault.

   - Cut out a slot in the PCB under the 4N33 to provide a longer sneak path for HV.

   - You can also put the Ipa current fault in the return line and avoid the HV issue.  Ian GM3SEK
describes this well in his TCB manual, http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards/triode/triode-manual.pdf

    - But then you might want to use a lower value series resistor.  Take a look at
http://wa1hco.net/uTCB/uTCB_sch.pdf for an idea.  R21 and R21 in parallel make a 0.5 ohm sense
resistor in the HV return line.  R17-R20 add an offset to move the sense voltage into the positive
region.  The PSOC chip has an op-amp to measure the small drop across the resistor.

    - I've had problems with step start circuits and large relays because they draw too much current
and require a high power dropping resistor and vary large capacitor value to get enough RC time
constant.  You might consider using a small relay with high coil resistance to drive the relay that
shorts the step start resistor.

hope this helps...

jeff, wa1hco