[Amps] HV Supplies and Diodes

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 18:50:32 EST 2008

The 1980 ARRL handbook section on power supplies does recommend using
resistors across each diode in a string.

The 2000 ARRL handbook recommends NOT using resistors across each diode in a
string.
Times have changed!

Diodes these days have an avalanche area in them that makes them operate
like a zener when maximum reverse voltage is seen. So if one diode in a
string has a lower reverse breakdown voltage its zener will conduct a small
amount of current while protecting its junction. Since current in a series
circuit is the same everywhere, the amount of current conducted will be
limited by the total leakage current of the whole diode string. (very small)

By placing resistors in parallel with these diodes you may force excess
reverse current through a diode that has reached avalanche because the
resistors provide a low impedance source of current.
Without the resistors there is only the very high leakage resistance of the
whole string to supply current.

73
Gary  K4FMX