[Amps] ALS-600S... good news!

Phil & Debbie Salas dpsalas at tx.rr.com
Mon Jan 28 18:37:27 EST 2008

The switching power supply is a higher cost option.  There is no diffference
in amps between the one that uses the linear supply or the switching power
supply.  I have the switcher, and it works great (no noise).  It is also
very light (about 11-12 pounds).  The switcher does draw more current than
the linear supply, as the linear supply isn't regulated.  So the linear
supply draws 11-12 amps at 120VAC, and the switcher draws around 14 amps at
120VAC.  This can be a problem if you're sharing the amp and transceiver on
the same AC branch circuit.  I run my amp on 240VAC, so this isn't an issue.

Ameritron is only shipping the new version of the ALS-600 now - the one that
can be configured for auto bandswitching with the ARI-500.  I have one of
these amps as well (gotta have a back-up!!) and it works as advertised.  It
is really nice to change bands on my MKV and have the amp automatically
follow it.  And then using the MFJ-998 auto-tuner means I don't have to ever
do anything except hit the key when I'm ready.

Phil - AD5X