[Amps] New Amps at Dayton

Roger (K8RI) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue May 20 19:29:52 EDT 2008

Bob Maser wrote:
> The same socket is used for the 4CX1000A and the 4CX1500B(p/n
> SK800B).  The 4CX1500A uses a different socket(SK831). Increasing the
> screen voltage does wonders for output.  That is how owners of the
> 30S1 were able to improve performance.

That makes sense. The ones I had must have been the A version as they
used a conventional type socket. It's been almost 20 years which is a
good memory test. Now if we could still get the 4CX1600B which I believe
is the one Alpha was going to use in their 6-meter amp.  I called to
order one (The Alpha 6-meter Amp), they didn't have any tubes in stock,
and would let me know when they got some in. A month or so later the amp
was no longer offered. I think the ARRL Handbook still lists projects
using that tube.

Bout 20 years ago I was inactive (no time), very busy (in college full
time), and no hope of getting back into building that I could see so I
sold off all my parts. Really cleaned house.  Now that I've been retired
over 11 years I'd sure like to have some of those parts back and
particularly those 4CX1500s and other tubes.
> Bob
As to tuning and grid current, if the mistake can be made I'm most
likely the one who can make it. Hence my desire for rugged tubes. <:-))
Or...solid state with lots of good protection circuits.

Thanks for the update,

Roger (K8RI)