[Amps] New Amps at Dayton

Chuck & Vicki Tifft cftifft at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 20 19:39:27 EDT 2008

No, I don't think so. I homebrewed one about 30 yars ago.Back then free
pulls were easy to come by from one of the other local high VHF channels.(we
were low VHF and didn't use them) Was a great amp/tube, but it needed lots
of protection to keep it safe and about 1500 to 1600 watts was all you dared
squeeze out of it. I soon decided the the warm up time and complexity wasn't
worth it, so I tore it down. I spent lots of hours building it up, but it
didn't take long to rip it apart. My only regret was I didn't take any
pictures of it before demolition.. Done right the bias and screen supplies
need to be regulated and the screen supply interlocked to the HV..There
certainly were then and are now better ways to go. I can't see why anybody
would go that way now. The sockets and bypass rings weren't cheap then, can
only imagine about now.
Chuck
W6RD