[Amps] help with corona discharge

k8mlm at aol.com k8mlm at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 12:28:36 EST 2008

Concur.? 4CX250s also glow blue.

Bob

K8MLM

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Schatzberg <cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net>
To: Steven Hanlon <asciibaron at comcast.net>; k7fm <k7fm at teleport.com>
Cc: amps at contesting.com
Sent: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:55 am
Subject: Re: [Amps] help with corona discharge

Every Commander amp that I have added QSK and vacuum relays to has had the
blue glow when looking through the cooling fins..

The three holer on my desk, with brand new 3cpx800 tubes, glows blue.  The
ten year old 3cx800 tubes also glow blue.

The tubes are full output, and there is no issue.  I believe the glow which
appears when cut off bias is removed, may be dependant upon the trace
elements in the ceramic, with different types of ceramic producing somewhat
different colors.

Your amp is fine, you don't need to worry, just operate.

73,

Mike
W2AJI