[Amps] help with corona discharge

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:39:37 EST 2008

I first interpreted the comment on the blue glow observation, as meaning the glow is in the air out side the tube body, but now realize that what you are probably seeing is Cerenkov radiation generated inside the ceramic between the plate and the next structure of the tube.  And apparently being bright enough to illuminate the areas around the tube.   The cathode electrons accelerating to the plate approach the speed of light, and some splash, bounce into, or otherwise impact the ceramic, and the forced quick deceleration of the electrons down to the speed of light in the ceramic,  generates the blue Cerenkov radiation.  It is kind of like breaking the sound barrier phenom in air, very weird things happen and you see energy in various forms emitted.

Here is a picture of Cerenkov radiation in Water moderator/coolant of fuel rods in a Nuke Reactor:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Image:TrigaReactorCore.jpeg

All the best,   Pat Barthelow   aa6eg at k6bj.org
Jamesburg Moon Bounce Team

http://www.jamesburgdish.org> From: cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net