[Amps] RF Interference

gdaught6 at stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 11 12:26:17 EDT 2008

Bob wrote,

> This may be a little off target for this reflector but maybe someone can
> offer up some advice, and it IS RF interference from a RF amplifier so here
> goes.

< snip, snip >

> Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem and come up with solutions?
> FYI, the 115V that the opener is hooked up to is a dedicated line with no
> other circuits going any where into the house.  Just for kicks, I plugged it
> in to a wall circuit in our kitchen using a extension(with ground) and it
> still freezes up when the amp is being used.  Barefoot doesn't bother it at
> all.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this will help your problem but here is my experience.

My neighbor's garage door would open and close when I was on 10m CW.  Ferrites
didn't help, but we put a disc ceramic bypass capacitor across the leads from the
inside (manual opening) switch for the door.  This cured the problem.  It seems the
wires for the switch were a pretty good 10m Rx antenna.

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 4-5, 2008