[Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor

sccook1 at cox.net sccook1 at cox.net
Tue Sep 16 18:26:13 EDT 2008

One more comment...

On my 8170 amp I used a 20 Ohm, 25 Watt wirewound.  When I first got my amp working, I had made a mistake in the neturalizing circuit and the amp was not fully neturalized and would bo BANG!!! during the tune up procedure.  BANG!!! as in 12 Ga. shotgun loud BANG!!!

I got the neturalization problem solved, but not before I went through 5 or 6 20 Ohm, 25 Watt wirewould resistors (in series with the B+).

Each time the loud noice shook my world, the resistor opened and removed the B+ from the tube.  The only collateral damage was to the Screen Regulator crowbar SCR.  Never hurt a diode in the B+ supply or anything else.

If I had used a fuse in series with the resistor, I would have been replacing fuses instead of the harder and more expensive wire wound resistors.  Probably would still killed the SCR though.

There, I said it.  I am all done now...

-S