[Amps] winding an HV transformer

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Wed Apr 1 05:01:45 PDT 2009

Hi Tomm, and amps people,

Thanks, the validation is very helpful.  Sometimes I think about something over and over enough and get myself lost in the forest.    I also read last night that the square wave has a pk value = avg value = rms value.  This does seem to line up with what I have measured on my scope with the 3.4v pk-pk input.   .... marching forward now, thanks!

Now that this point is solved, how about a more "amp related" question?

I'm using a 3cx800a7 as the tube.   This tube has a max plate voltage of 2250 VDC.   According to Tim W9QQ's article, he gets about 100 V drop on full load.   It is very easy for me to add turns in increments of 5  to the transformer so I could easily go from 2040 to 2380.   If my supply follows with -100 V keydown it is at 2280 V under load, still above the mfgr maximum rated voltage.

Would it be better to add the extra turn and get the higher plate voltage?   I see the AL-800 has a no load voltage of around 2600 V.

About the chopper...yes, that is exactly the plan.   I've built the chopper circuit, the handful of components, on a separate board with the idea to redesign/remove that module later in order to incorporate a feedback loop to control the duty cycle/frequency to adjust the output voltage; we're on the same path.

thanks,

Paul, kg7hf