[Amps] High SWR

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Apr 23 06:03:06 PDT 2009

I use the Belden catalog as the reference. A true RG cable has an
established set of specs that doesnt vary on a whim.

What causes confusion is the RG clone variants and non RG designations.
I dont know if its improved but Radio Shack coax of the past was a prime
example of a mighty inferior product.

Ive run RG-6 fed inverted vees or slopers on 160/80 as well as 450' of
CATV hardline with RG-11 foam jumpers into 4 or 5:1 VSWR's at times with
no ill effects at 1200-1300W. Ferrite sleeve baluns at both ends
eliminated any hot outer shields. Over 300 countries on both bands as
well as big contest scores attests to my lack of concern when it doesnt
amount to the proverbial hill or beans.

OTOH, I fight for tenths of a dB on VHF and above!

Carl
KM1H