[Amps] High SWR

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Apr 23 06:47:38 PDT 2009

> What causes confusion is the RG clone variants and non RG designations.
> I dont know if its improved but Radio Shack coax of the past was a prime
> example of a mighty inferior product.

Like their RG-8M class of cable they've sold since ca. 1981?  I just
conducted a search and they still sell it -- only it seems to be limited to
a 10-foot jumper cable product rather than large spools that could be
purchased back then:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102675

I don't know the exact figure (and their tech specs are silent on this), but
my guess is that the cable had less than 40% braided shielding.   Hopefully,
they have improved on the shielding percentage in the last 30 years.
Electrically, it could probably be argued that it doesn't make much
difference in most HF applications, but I always wondered what else was
being compromised to reduce the cost of that cabling.

Since my experience with that cable in the early '80s, I have never
purchased any cabling except from large industrial brands (e.g., Belden,
Times, Andrew, etc.).  I seem to waste so much $$$ on other things in this
hobby that a decision to purchase a high-quality cable is something that I'm
sure I've had a benefit from over the years without having to worry if the
reason for that slight creep in line VSWR is the result of a cable
prematurely aging.

Paul, W9AC