[Amps] RF parts and parasitics!!

jeff millar jeff at wa1hco.net
Wed Aug 26 19:28:40 PDT 2009

Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> REPLY:
>
> While I generally agree with W8JI's conclusions, he makes a serious mistake
> about halfway through the article when he says " When grid current is absent,
> the grid-to-cathode impedance is nearly an open circuit". In a grounded-grid
> linear amplifier (the kind under discussion) this is simply not true.

I think the statement about grid impedance is true because it refers to
a principle of _tube_ operation. The grid does indeed have a high
impedance with _respect_ to the cathode without grid
current...regardless of amplifier circuit. On the other hand, an
_amplifier_ may have a grounded grid, but that's a statement about grid
impedance with respect to amplifier input. The grid still has a high
impedance with respect to cathode on those frequencies where the tube's
grid to socket internal wiring inductance has high impedance. (which is
where the parasitics occur)