[Amps] Advice

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Dec 2 19:13:02 PST 2009

Carl wrote:
> To the obsessive I agree and I fit that description on 160M and VHF
> and up.
> However many dont get that involved and run 1" hardline, buy a
> hilltop, erect big towers and antennas, etc, etc (-;
>
> The 3-500 is rated to 110 mHz at full power and is a fine, efficient,
> 6M tube. The 572B is actually rated to 54 or 60 "mc" in some old
> descriptions. Ive yet to have a problem getting 40M performance on 6
> with them.
>
> Ive converted several 2 and 3 hole Alphas, its the tube cost that
> scares off many, a 2 holer isnt any more output than a SB-220 if you
> want long life.
>
> Id rather use a 2 3CX800 or a single 8877 and dont push it to 2500W
> unless you are a nitwit with lots of money.

Agreed, but what's wrong with 2 8877's?  They should last forever at
1500 out in that 6 n' 2 amp in the handbook. <:-))  True, they're not
cheap, but if you want the best...Tubes should always be used as a pair,
except for 813's and 572's and then you use 4 of them.

I kinda like the looks of a pair of 833's for HF with a window that lets
you watch and partake of the "warmth" of those big bottles without
having to deafen yourself with fan noise. Put a pair of those in a glass
cabinet with the exception of the front panel (where you could still put
in a window). Admittedly the two pins on top with one being the grid and
one the plate can be a bit confusing and does look a little odd.

OTOH I used to get a "lot" of glow out of 4 813's on HF (80-10) with the
B&W tank coil. Even a pair of 813's seems to have surplus emission, but
I don't know how long they'd last.

Then again a pair of 6C21s/750THs in PP on 6, using a pair of vertical
pipes about 3' long for the tank circuit is impressive.

I have to admit there is a certain psychological rush to seeing those
big bottles light up. <LOL>

73

Roger (K8RI)