[Amps] Russian Power Tubes

MIKE DURKIN patriot121 at msn.com
Wed Dec 16 09:01:48 PST 2009

And thats why im going this route ...I have a Yokagawa P9306UL that i pressed into ameture radio service with only minor issues really. Then one of the 3-500Z (emiac lot from 87) started shorting to cathode after power up - now is constant - and needed replaced. The cost of 2 3-500z compared to one GS-35b leads to the thought of using a Russian tube. Seeing tht the GS-35b is almost one inch taller im not sure that i can fit it into the compartment that the pair of 3-500z were in. Probably some case cutting will be in order. I will get the calipers out and take some measurements.

Other thoughts are using some Russian Tetrodes and just ground the screens ... might not work out - i read somewhere some time ago that this might be a way to go due to cost.

Mike
KC7NOA

> A lot of people here in Europe have built amps with the GS35B and I hear reports of reliable operation with 4kv on the anode.
>
> As Richard alludes, we're experimenters and if things go *BANG* occasionally it's no big deal, especially with $100 Russian tubes.  I might find that the cost/benefit works out differently with a $1000 Eimac tube, though....
>
> cheers
>
> Dave G0OIL

SNIP

> From: RICHARD GEORGE <k6kwq at msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian Power Tubes
> To: dezrat1242 at yahoo.com, "amps fourm" <amps at contesting.com>
> Date: Wednesday, 16 December, 2009, 1:49
>
> Funny thing I worked as an engineer for 42 years.
> This is ham radio not space shuttle engineereing.
>
> K6KWQ Dick
>  Amps by "MORE POWER"

SNIP

SNIP