[Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?

Tomas Hood nw7us.heliophile at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:13:54 PST 2009

I have an Ameritron AL-80A.  I love it.

A couple of days ago, after transmitting, I could hear nothing on
receive.  If I switch OPR to standby, I can hear stations again.  When
I return OPR to XMT (the XMT red LED lights), I hear a relay.  It
seems that the relay is cutting in and disabling receive.  It is not
transmitting during that time.  It does transmit right - seems that
transmit is not suffering.  But when done transmitting, the receive is
not re-engaged.  I've not yet explored the circuit, but wonder if this
is a typical issue, perhaps a sticky relay?  Where should I focus my
inexperienced troubleshooting mind?

The other question is about the red LED XMT indicator.  Should it
light with I move the STBY/OPR switch to OPR, if the rig has not keyed
the amp??

Thanks in advance!

--

73 de NW7US, Tomas David Hood - Bitterroot Valley of Montana

Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist : http://tomasdavidhood.com

Contributing editor:
 CQ Magazine, CQ VHF, Popular Communications

Main Page: http://hfradio.org/
Twitter Space WX : @hfradiospacewx
Twitter NW7US : @NW7US

Podcast: http://podcast.hfradio.org/