[Amps] PCB - Pole Pegs

Ryan Foster foster.ryan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:27:12 EST 2009

Steve,

I will check the medical journal periodical database and get back with
you on that one.  You'll have to give me a little bit on that one, I
didn't realize this was that much of an argument going on here, I was
only reading the part of the posts that were sent to me.  I did have
to do research on it a few years ago, so my information is not fresh.
I'll get back to you in a bit here.

--------

Carl (km1h),

> There is no argument there BUT you fail to accept that there are as many
> different PCB formulations as there are trade names. There is a huge
> variance in toxity also between them.
>
> I dont believe any sane person would want to be near an Agent Orange area.

I don't fail to accept anything.  There are many different PCB's and
the small difference of how many chlorine atoms there are per molecule
makes a very large difference in toxicity.  There are however
essentially still only 10 types of PCB's as there are only the option
of attaching up to 10 chlorine atoms per molecule.  All of the
formulations are potentially dangerous in varying degrees.  All of
them are mistaken by the body as fatty acids and that is where the
problem starts.

I am not an expert on Agent Orange, but I am pretty sure there are no
PCB's in Agent Orange, if there are it is not a much.  Agent Orange's
deadly effects come from dioxin, which is a byproduct of creating
PCB's though.

>> It is just a matter of disposing of it properly, and you are set.
>> Most places that take used motor oil will probably take a few gallons
>> of transformer oil, since they have to treat all used oil as a hasmat
>> situation anyways.
>

> WRONG!

Well, that is why I said "probably."  I said PROBABLY because I did
not know for sure if you could.  All I can say for sure is that I did
bring transformer oil to a drop off area for used automotive fluids
and ask them if I could leave transformer fluid with them, and they
said something to the effect of "that is fine, just keep it separate
and labeled."  They did not ask me how old it was or if it contained
PCB's.  If they had asked, I wouldn't have been able to answer, but it
was old enough that it probably did.

> At least TRY to get your facts close to correct.

Well, if I knew anyone was going to pick everything apart with such
bias-- first of all I wouldn't have posted, because I don't give a
damn what you have to say about what I type, and I am not going to
fight over PCB's.  However, taking you out, I would have been more
specific if I had known that it was this contentious, and as I said to
Steve, I will find the published research I was referring to.

> Using your definition of reality then every power company staging and
> storage yard would be a deadly Superfund site.

I have no idea who's ass your pulling this out of.  All I said was
that there is no problem with PCB's unless you are continually exposed
to them.  My point in posting was that you couldn't possibly be harmed
from just getting a transformer out of oil and using it, there just
isn't enough of any PCB there to do damage to you.  As I stated above,
the problem with PCB's is the body mistaking them for fatty acids.  No
one's body needs so much fatty acid that they are harmed by incidental
exposure to PCB's,  AS I SAID.  Unless your version of my "definition
of reality" includes power companies just dumping all of their oil
into the ground, and that staging area was big enough to get enough
PCB's into the ground to then get enough into the ground water to be
harmful-- which I can't imagine any power company doing, not only
because it would be reckless, but because I don't think they could get
that much oil to absorb into the ground.

Again, no idea where the hell you are establishing my ideas from, I
don't know if you just didn't read anything I said or if you just have
such bias that you don't care.  Maybe you just see in black and white,
and if I don't fully agree with you that you can continually drink
some harmless PCB formulation in any concentration for the rest of
your life with out problem, then I am a part of the far left and am
currently chained to a tree to stop logging.  Either way, I don't
care.  If you think they are that safe, do whatever you want with
whatever chemical you want.  You live far enough from me and the water
I drink.

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they
should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of