[Amps] The SB220 Mystique

Jeff Carter amps at hidden-valley.com
Tue Feb 10 14:45:30 PST 2009

I succumbed to the desire to revive a SB-220.  "I did it myself" was a
huge part of it.  I wasn't able to identify a production amplifier
with the same specs that was going to be as easy to bring back as the
SB-220.  When you add the huge following, multiple Yahoo and email
special interest groups, suddenly there's a huge population of Elmers
who have seen every problem this amp can possibly put forth and who
will take lots of their own time to help.

I even had folks send me parts out of their own stash.  It seems all
hams in a certain demographic have at least part of one of these amps
lying around somewhere.

Maybe there's a better "first amp" than this, but I couldn't find it.
It gave me the confidence to build an amp from scratch if I decide
later to do so.  And it set me forever apart from thousands of
"appliance operators" who may never even try to solder a PL-259 onto a
piece of coax.   I could have dropped 2.5 kilobux on a brand new
amplifier, but it would never be *mine* the way this SB-220 is, and I
think I've still got less than $1k in it.

You can still get everything you need to bring one up from the metal.

I did.

Jeff/KD4RBG
http://www.kd4rbg.com