[Amps] Kilovac HC-4 Relays

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 19:37:21 PST 2009

I have a number of Kilovac HC-4 vacuum relays which have very nice specs, but are not rated for RF use. I understand that they use a different contact material from, for example the HC-1, and can be hot-switched. I wonder if there is any fundamental reason why they should not be used at RF? Obviously I would try not to hot-switch them! The contact resistance is a fraction of an Ohm measured with a VOM. Looking at the Kilovac catalogue the contacts do appear to the the only difference from others in the range.

Any thoughts?

73 Roger
VE3ZI