[Amps] 3-500zs to 8877

Donald Fox taurusshoguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 09:11:09 EST 2009

Gentlemen:

  Just submitting a quick poll to see what the feeling is about making the swap from a pair of 3-500s to the almighty 8877.

  The donor is my very good condx Henry 2K Classic X which I do not want to butcher. I am aware that the Henry consoles were oem equipped with the 8877 and other tubes.

  My goal is not for more power, but to enjoy the lower drive requirement of the 8877 for my IC746.

  I know that the filament xformer and socket would need to change as well as reworking the airflow for cooling.

  So, can the change be done without major mods to the input/output networks??

  If not, then I will drop the idea and enjoy it as is. Changing to another amplifier is not in the budget, and since I have a soft spot for the 80's model Henry consoles, this one is bound to be around as long as I can afford it.

  Thanks for your comments pro or con in advance.

                                                        Don   N8ECH