[Amps] 3-500zs to 8877

Val Erwin val.erwin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 21 10:23:44 EST 2009

Hi Donald:

A good example of the change you would like to achieve is available by viewing the Ameritron series of amps. Specifically, compare the AL-82 (2 X 3-500s) to the AL-1500 (single 8877).(You can download the manuals)

Both amps use the same power suppply and the same chassis. Despite owning an AL-1500, I have never explored what they do about the difference in filament voltages between the two models.

These two models of Ameitron amps run very high plate voltage as compared to say a Heathkit SB-220 or a Henry etc.............This higher plate voltage is really what is needed to make an 8877 "play".

I am currently exploring a similar project: Placing an 8877 in an Alpha 78

GL

Val a.k.a. W5PUT