[Amps] Source for good YC156 tubes and hv oil capacitors

alexeban alexeban at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:20:19 EST 2009

Hello guys:
I would like to share a point that I learned from 4X1AT- sadly, a silent key
by now. He was the transformer guru in Israel.
I inherited a 4-1000 amplifier built by him. By itself, it was a classic
built according to Will Orr's Radio handbook ed.23.
The power supply, however was very special:
He wound a transformer that incorporated 6 (six) separated secondaries, each
producing 450 Volts, after rectification. Thus, he didn't need bleeder
resistors or very special filter caps. The only requirement was to insulate
well the filter capacitors. It's true that he needed 24 diodes but 1000 V, 3
A diodes are plentiful and inexpensive.
Just  thought to share for whomever is planning a new transformer.
73 and all the best:
Alex  4z5KS
"Jesus, come get your kids, they're tearing up my Mother's backyard!"