[Amps] AL1200, RTTY contesting, temps, duty cycles (not 100%)

Bill W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Sat Jul 4 16:14:29 PDT 2009

I suppose right up there with RTTY is WSJT with its mode-defined 50% transmit
cycles (30 seconds "on" for FSK441/JT6M, 60 seconds "on" for JT65). I'm running
a 6-meter-converted SB-220 with new matched 3-500ZGs in the "throttled back"
mode (lower anode voltage "CW/Tune" position). Here are the approximate
operating parameters:

Power In: 85 watts
Anode voltage: 2,000V under full load
Anode current: 700 mA
Grid current: 250 mA
Power Out: 800 watts

Since I don't have access to accurate temperature-measuring instrumentation, I'm
going by how stable it "feels" in long-term 50% (30-sec) WSJT duty. Power output
starts at around 875W when the amp is cool and stabilizes at around 800W over
perhaps 20-30 minutes of continuous 50% operation (30 seconds on, 30 seconds
off).

Soliciting opinions from those with familiarity with the newer graphite
3-500ZGs -- am I overstressing it in WSJT mode with these parameters? About
right? Unnecessarily conservative?

Bill W5WVO