[Amps] AL1200, RTTY contesting, temps, duty cycles (not 100%)

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 18:03:15 PDT 2009

Bill,

Assuming the grid current is within specs realtive to the grid disipation
limit (which I believe it should be as the 500z need a strong drive), the
question is one of plate disipation limits.

2000V @ 700ma loaded is 1400w input.  Subtract the Po and add the drive and
you have 685w of net plate disipation against a 1000w limit.  A 54% net
efficiency.

Assuming you have sufficient air flow to keep the pins cool at the base of
the tube so as to not violate the seal temp limit, you should be able to run
the tubes at this level until you are quite long in the tooth.

If I'm not missing my guess, I think you would only approach the tube plate
disipation limit at up to something like 1100 ma of plate current and
perhaps 100w drive.  Assuming the same overall efficiency, that would be
around 1200w out and a bit over 1KW of plate dis.  I'm assuming the B+ line
would drop slightly off the 2KV level.  The 3500z is a pretty tough beast -
if you can keep it's feet cool.

73/jeff/ac0c