[Amps] monitoring tube seal temps

Radio WC6W wc6w_amps at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 5 14:45:17 PDT 2009

Hi Larry,
  There are a couple manufacturers (names escape from my moldy old mind this afternoon) making complete sensors, with lenses and signal processing, in a transistor sized case covering up to 300 degrees C.  I believe that they cost about $30 ea. in small quantity.

  A homebrew version might be cobbled together by cutting the top off an old germanium transistor, covering it with a piece of opaque trash can plastic, and using a small mylar conical concentrator in lieu of a lens.  A temperature sensor IC, or a second transistor of the same type, could provide the ambient reference.  A small PIC or other uP, with an integral A/D converter & a PWM output, could process the somewhat nonlinear (4th power function!) raw signals to drive a meter.  Calibrate it against a mercury thermometer in the kitchen oven and viola!

  The latter approach could share the processing circuitry with multiple sensors, for multiple tubes, or multiple location sensing.

73 & Good afternoon,
  Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/