[Amps] caps across rectifier diodes

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Mar 2 11:23:18 PST 2009

Diodes today are built differently than they were years ago. The old diodes
had no reverse current protection in them and external resistors were used
to equalize reverse voltage across the string so that the reverse voltage
limit was not exceeded on any one diode.
The problem with the resistor string comes from resistors not all being the
same exact value. The resistors could actually force reverse current thru
some diodes.

The new diodes have a reverse current avalanche area in them that acts like
a zener diode. When the reverse voltage across them exceeds the limit the
zener starts to conduct to protect the diode from reverse current. The zener
is small and can not handle a lot of current but it is enough to keep from
zapping the diode.
When you have a string of diodes there may be some small leakage current in
the reverse direction that can cause the zener to conduct. But if one does
conduct, all of the diodes in the string would also have to conduct in order
to do any damage. Since it is a series string the current will be the same
in all elements. With resistors across each diode, a diode could conduct in
the reverse direction without having the voltage margin of the whole string.
It can force enough reverse current in the diode to destroy it that would
not happen without the resistor.

Same thing with capacitors across the diodes. Unless you have close
tolerance capacitors they can unbalance the string and actually force
reverse current thru some diodes.

This is why resistors and capacitors are not recommended across modern
diodes.

All this is spelled out in the latter ARRL handbooks in the power supply
section.

73
Gary  K4FMX