[Amps] Measuring meter pointer deflection

Paul Kelley N1BUG paul.kelley.n1bug at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 06:09:10 PDT 2009

I hope this is an appropriate question for the Amps list.

I'm trying to design custom meter scales for my amplifiers. I
downloaded the Meter program from Tonne Software which seems to work
great. The only problem is I'm having trouble trying to accurately
measure the pointer deflection on my meters. The smaller meters are
especially challenging. Various meters I'm using seem to have
deflections all over the place in the 90 to 110 degree range, but my
measurements are rarely any better than plus or minus 3 or 4 degrees
of the correct value. I am finding I need to print out several
versions of a meter scale using assorted values for pointer
deflection clustered around my "measured" value, try them all in the
meter and pick the one that is correct. Trying them all in the meter
is tedious since it involves trimming and punching holes in each one.

I know many members of this group use this program. How do you
measure pointer deflection on a meter? Am I the only one who is
pointer deflection measurement challenged? I may be using the wrong
tools, but I obviously don't know what the right tool for the job is!

73,
Paul N1BUG