[Amps] motor run cap

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 06:57:37 PDT 2009

>  Although I do have a sprague 4.7uF 450V non polarized cap in my junk box (K2XT did you send me those?), not quite the 4uF the data sheet is asking for.

I think I sent you a heavy current cap to be used as a feedthrough for filament voltage, didn't I?  Don't really remember.

I think that idea of getting a proper motor capacitor at a supply shop is a good one.
Those caps cause a phase shift between windings on a motor, so one winding pushes and the other one pushes a little later.  So they need to be able to take a bit of current.  On a rotor we can probably get away with a lossy one but on a blower that thing has to work continuously, so best to get a nice modern, efficient one is my two cents.

Rick  K2XT