[Amps] TL922 Power Plugs

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Nov 5 07:09:57 PST 2009

In NH the homeowner can do all his own wiring subject to inspection; this
includes new construction. When I moved here in 1989 I added a huge addition
to an 1830's farmhouse which I pretty much gutted and rebuilt with
insulation, low E double pane windows, etc. The basement of the addition was
over wired for multi bench ham use plus other benches for building amps, and
repairs.

The complete house was wired with #12 to the 120V wall outlets which are
standard 15A variety. I did that to minimize dimming which is common on this
hilltop due to poor grounds.....rock makes a poor conductor.  The ground
rods are a pair of spaced 8' driven at a shallow angle since solid ledge is
less than 2' down. The best I could do is place them under the roof drip
zone.

My guide was the 1987 NEC manual which was current at the time.

The inspector is a local excavator contractor who never had an electricians
license. In fact he still holds the position. I think we just broke 13K in
population.

Later I bonded all the heating and domestic water copper pipes together with
#6 and tied those into the panel ground. Distances were all within 6' of the
panel.

Then of course comes the ham equipment grounds, feedline grounds (all CATV
or Andrew hardline), tower grounds ( I have 4 up to 250' away all guyed
which means 3 more grounds per tower), vertical radial grounds (80 & 160M 4
Squares), Beverage grounds ( there are 7 and the common hardline feed is
750' away) and whatever else which seems to throw the NEC manual out the
window.

You can see why many of us are confused and pretty much ignore all the NEC
nonsense after the 1987 or earlier revisions.

Carl
KM1H