[Amps] PSU design question

Ulf Tjerneld star at frizon.org
Fri Nov 6 10:47:58 PST 2009

Hi all,

There is one thing I still haven't been able to understand; It is the
question about having B- a little bit above ground. I have now read
tons of info on the subject and I do get the basic idea about creating
a point where you can measure plate current in a safe way. But what I
don't understand is exactly how you determine that potential, i.e. the
actual value of the resistor. I have seen a lot of designs on the
Internet and in the literature where this resistor ranges from a few
couple of ohms up to about a kilo ohm, but I have still not found a
satisfactory explanation to why this resistor sometimes is only 5 ohms
and sometimes 1 K? Maybe it is not important to know... why not just
copy a design from the Internet? Well, I could, but I'm determined to
learn everything about amplifiers and I also have a profound respect
for the HV! That is why I want to know exactly what I'm doing!  This
also leads to the following question: Since my design is a cathode
grounded tetrode design; do I really need to create the independent B-
for the sake of metering? I also intend to build the amplifier and the
PSu in the same chassis, so as I understand it; I don't need B- return
for the sake of safely connecting HV to the amplifier.

I'd be happy if someone could enlighten me further on this!

73's

Ulf /SM0NOR