[Amps] Stripline design

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Nov 15 20:42:59 PST 2009

Carl wrote:
> QST and HRM had some theory/construction articles mostly by Eimac
> engineers.
>
> Ive done some stripline myself but prefer a single 3CX1000A7 and 8877
> which I use on 144 and 222.  I remember a dual 4CX1000A article for 2M
> that worked well.
>
> These days the only 2 x 3CX800 design Im aware of is K1FO's Lunar Link
> products.
That's one of the reasons I'd like to learn a bit of strip line theory
as I only have dimensions for a single 3 CX-800 that I could replace
with a single 4CX-1500 for legal limit. What I don't know is how going
from 800 to a 1000 watts pep to the legal limit, or running a pair of
tubes might change the dimensions of the strip line. I'd rather not go
with the "cut-and-try" approach. Of course there is always the
possibility of a single GU-84B/4CX2500, or the GU-73B that take
reasonable voltages and currents on the filament, plate, screen, and
grid with what appear to be pretty good gain characteristics. OTOH
spares might be a bit hard come by in the future.  The GS35 as I
understand takes more drive and a step start, but no screen circuit
requirements...they're cheap too.

OTOH I do have a pair of new 4CX-1500s on the way and already have some
spare pulls.

The ARRL amp handbook uses a pair of the 3CX-800s in parallel for
6-meters and Push Pull for 2-meters. It appears I could use the
4CX-1500s in that design with little change except for the power
supply.  OTOH the dual band controls make the front panel a bit less
than elegant in layout.<:-))

When I finish I want to end up with the legal limit amp(s) on both 6 and
2 with no time limit, key down for any mode.

73

Roger (K8RI)