[Amps] Stripline design

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Nov 19 17:08:11 PST 2009

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Carl wrote:
>
>> Or find someone with Microwave Office and plug in the numbers at let it do
>> the math. Ive used that program for everything from VHF to millimeter wave
>> before retiring.
>>
>> Having AutoCad to assist with the dimensional stuff is a big plus.

Some of the early versions of AutoCad bout drove me nuts as they had one
or two modified DLLs instead of creating their own, OR they had a
screwed up compiler like one I had that confused the DLL dates.
>> Carl
>> KM1H
>>

> I think the original poster wanted an understanding of stripline design -
> something you do not get by plugging in dimensions into expensive closed-source
> 'black-box' software.
Correct, but I'll settle for both<:-))

> The theory of transmission lines can be found in many books.
>
> The theory behind the finite difference code I wrote, which can compute Zo for
> odd shaped lines
>
> http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the link and information Dave and thanks for the pointers Carl.

I use Fedora LINUX, Windows XP Pro, and Win 7. Two of the computers are
3.2 Gig, Quad core and one is 3.2 gig dual core.
> can be found in an article I wrote for QEX. A PDF can be found at
> http://atlc.sourceforge.net/qex-december-1996/atlc.pdf
>
> The basic C source code is reproduced in full - about 100 lines of it! The
> version on Sourceforge is of course a lot larger than that in the QEX article.

The math doesn't look bad,  but I was surprised to see summations in an
article directed at hams<:-))
My degree is in CS with a minor in Math which is more than a little rusty.

Thanks again & 73

Roger (K8RI)