[Amps] liquid cooling

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Apr 5 14:02:52 PDT 2010

>> Convection vapor cooling in small amps normally uses a vented system and
>> as
>> such, H2O is exposed to the ambient air

> Only to a small extent.

It's a small extent until air contamination gradually reaches the point
where conduction necessitates the purging of the H2O supply.

> You should not see any humidity escape the system except possible a small
> amount at startup.

There's a slight amount of evaporation through the vent tubes (at the supply
line) as both the pre and post condenser H2O temperature rises.   It's a
small amount of evaporation that occurs over time and the amount of
evaporation is directly related to operating time.  Unless I am running the
amp extensively, I can usually wait until the 12 month maintenance period
has lapsed.  Only on a few occasions have I needed to "top off" the
reservoir in between maintenance points.

Paul, W9AC