[Amps] Hmmmm...Legal limit boiled the oil in the cantena

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Apr 5 17:25:54 PDT 2010

Jeff Carter wrote:
> My favorite part was the following line:
>
> "I hold a general class ticket so please buy with confidence."

I had one of those wayyyy back in 61, of course back then you had the
choice of Novice or General. Anything else mean you'd been around a
longggg time.
> I never held a General ticket (went straight to Extra),
Just listen to the magic from them on 3.895 <:-))
>  so maybe
> there's some magic in the General Class ticket that makes one
> instantly trustworthy and I just missed out on it.

To me they were all magic although I have to admit I was probably the
most active as a Novice and as Advanced. I had a long stretch starting
around 1980 where I was seldom on the air.
OTOH I've been on the air more in the last week since the new amp
arrived using nothing but center fed sloping half wave dipoles on 75 and
40.  None of the big antennas are hooked up. AND to top it off, today I
discovered a really strong, broad signal moving around roughly between
7.145 and 7.158. It's running 20 to 30 over 9 and about 15 KHz wide at
the 3db points.

"I think" it's one of those "plug your phone into your computer" setups
which are gaining a reputation for terrible RFI, but I'm going to have
to get the local RFI group to help hunt it down. One of those things can
be 20 over 9 from a block away. I know it's louder on the sloper than on
the vertical.

At any rate, with the warm weather I tried my first climb and made it to
70 feet (with full body harness and fall arrest gear) before deciding to
call it a day. I didn't have my work boots (with steel shanks)  on and
these shoes have very deep groves in the soles which makes it more work
to climb, but if I can give it a try about 3 times a week I should make
it to the top and be able to stay long enough to get something useful done.

Well, time to get on the phone and start hunting.

73

Roger (K8RI)